The Backyard Syrian Hamster Breeder.

Hey guys!

So I also wanted to talk about the other Syrian hamster rescue that we assisted on - it was actually the same day as our huge gerbil rescue.
Again, the exact same thing happened! We were meant to be the middle person in the rescue and sadly 1 hamster turned to 3 and then when it was found out that the hamsters were aggressive, they were no longer able to help.

Firstly, I'd like to disclose that we do not support backyard breeders. Please under no circumstance attempt to breed any animals if you not fully knowledgeable and able to handle the work and the possibility on if no babies are sold then YOU are responsible.
It is not an excuse to abuse and neglect animals because you were not able to fund the animals for life. 
Breeding is not a way to easily make money like this individual sadly assumed.

We were alerted on 1 female hamster being kept in an unsuitable filthy cage with moldy water and unsuitable food. I went through my contacts and I found someone able to help her. so I contacted the individual who posted about the hamster.
They then further told me that they had a male hamster too, again in unsuitable conditions. They said they were willing to give me both. 
I immediately agreed and sure enough the same person agreed to take him in too.

As the time got closer for me to finally collect the hamsters they revealed they had attempted to breed the two hamsters (who are also siblings) and the female viciously attacked the male - leaving him traumatized and quite aggressive, the female was also apparently skittish.

When we collected Arwen and Mad-Eye we were handed them over in a cardboard box and they were unwilling to attempt to remove the hamsters in fear of them biting, leaving me to do it in the back of a vehicle as they wouldn't allow me inside - at first they was actually unsure about me bringing Andy, my carer that day. It became very clear these hamsters were extremely aggressive.




Aren't they cute? So we arrived home that night and within a few minutes (yes, minutes!!) of me sitting down I received a message from the breeder. They asked if I was interested in their brothers hamster. She was apparently the third sister. I simply couldn't decline after the shady behavior of the individual and because of how terrified these poor hamsters were.

The next day Andy was collecting Eowyn. Andy received her in her cage - it was simply disgusting!



Eowyn is honestly the most aggressive animal period we have ever taken in here at Bacchus Residents. It breaks my heart to see how she had to live, Eowyn likely has permanent behavioural issues due to the stress caused in her old home.
We also discovered that she is blind. She was so obviously unhappy in her old home. Eowyn was upgraded to a larger hamster cage and given numerous new toys, weaned onto a perfect diet suitable for a Syrian, began taming sessions, was given a beautiful new trixie wheel and lots of treats. She quickly turned into a loving girl - she does still bite sometimes when held, but you can also see the love in her eyes saying "thank you for being understanding and saving her".
We did recently change Eowyn's cage to a zoozone 2 as she was a very bad bar biter and we simply couldn't stop it - even when she had walls of cable tied toys!

Eowyn, Arwen and Mad-Eye are still here with us and are now completely tame and healthy. Mad-Eye and Arwen do have permanent scarring that may fade slightly but will always be there. It is a reminder every day that life does get better.

You can keep up with these 3 on our Instagram: bacchusresidents
or you can get notified updates if you join our Facebook group "Bacchus Residents (sanctuary)".

Comments